Sep 21, 2009

Thought On the Trip

So yesterday I thought back, to long before this adventure started, when we would just talk about it with people.
"Yeah, we're going on a roadtrip around America!" I would say, "40 States in 6 months on about six grand."
"That sounds fun," most people would reply, "I guess you're camping everywhere because $6000 won't get you very far.
"Yep, we have a few friends and family dotted around the country. Plus we can always ask people if they need help in exchange for some food and a place to stay. I believe that once you get out of California, everyone is a lot nicer to each other. I'd like to try and see what human kindness is all about in this country."
They would smile, most people in our age bracket with a look of "I'm from California, everyone is just the same as we are, so why are you leaving?" or the older people with the annoying smile that says " You're young and naive, but you'll work out its not like that"
"What are you going to do when that doesn't work out?" they would ask.
"Well, I figure when we run out of money, I'll just go to work on a ranch somewhere. Y'know, mend fence posts for a place to stay and some money in our pocket"
This would guarantee the "Oh God! You're naive!" smile as a response.

Well guess what?

As you know already, we arrived in York the other week. It's a small place, maybe hundred and fifty people at the summer max, no general store, no gas station, just a bar. People here are really, honestly kind to each other. I kept expecting everyone to want or demand something in return.

But no.

Within two days we had been offered a shower if we needed it and a job if we wanted it.
The job came with a trailer for free. First day on the job, Bill drove to the bar to get us cheeseburgers and sodas, and at the end of the day, I got paid my agreed wage for the day, NOT minus the cheeseburger.

We were given meat by another local, just cos he had lots of meat and couldn't eat it all. Other residents would turn up with their trucks and collect some meat in exchange for vegetables. This guy informed everyone present that his vegetables were ready and he had more than he knew what to do with. "C'mon by!" We have met people in the bar who within ten minutes of talking to them, have invited us over the next day for a BBQ. Just to be nice.

Yesterday I spent the day mending fence posts with Bill. Got paid, have place to stay.
Today Steve (the 'Elk man') needs some help with some wood cutting.

Guess I'm not that naive then?


Well, "We're not in California anymore, Treacle!"

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you were an ESL summer camp worker. I've always wanted to do that. I've recently been helping Spanish speaking students learn English at the university that I currently attend. It's so much fun, and I think it would be great spending a whole entire summer doing it. Anyway... I really like your blog. It's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete