Aug 30, 2009

Back To Basics

Last night Alex and I had a very interesting conversation about society. We brought up some points that I thought I'd share with you.

We are living about the simplest life possible right now. The only things we need to worry about are having a place to sleep, water to drink, food to eat, being warm enough and having enough money to get us to the next place on the map. Rarely do we worry about anything because we prepare well.

Drama was a problem for us before. We don't have any other people to worry about now, which cuts down on the drama in our lives drastically. Alex can tell whether people are going to invite drama into his life and successfully avoids those people. I can't do that and always end up in the middle of other people's drama trying to mediate. This is one of the many reasons I like being with Alex, I can avoid drama.

We don't have any jobs; to many this means that we are the lowest of the low. After traveling for three weeks, I realize that I am much happier doing what I love than making money in the city. Although I don't have a job, I have a purpose for this part of my life which is to figure out what to do with the next part of my life while enjoying myself along the way.

During our conversation we talked about what life was like in San Francisco. I had an apartment in SF because I wanted to live there. In order to live in SF I had to work a job in a company that I didn't like so that I could pay for the apartment. Then, on the weekends and after work I would spend money on things to distract me from the company that I didn't like. It's a cycle of spending money to make yourself feel good. You travel 45 minutes to work so you buy yourself a coffee because it makes you feel better on the way. You go to work and after you get a drink or 2 because that makes you feel better after work. On the weekend you pay for gas so that you can get out of the city because the people are annoying you. You buy drugs to distract you from the people and the place too and end up not knowing why you're unhappy.

I don't know if this is something that was unique to me, but I don't think it is. I know plenty of women who go shopping to make themselves "feel better". Plenty of people who go to bars after work to "wind down". Plenty of people who feel the need to "escape".

During this conversation we came up with an interesting idea. We want to buy a piece of land, somewhere near a river in a forest. On that land we want to build a small, sustainable house. The house will be four rooms, with room for expansion: a living room with a fireplace/ a nook and kitchenette, a bedroom and a bathroom. On the roof will be solar panels to run our computer, recharge our phones and our cameras, etc. Outside will be a porch, a garden in which we will grow our food and herbs, a cistern and an outdoor kitchen. Eventually we'll have a study with bookshelves covering the walls and a jacuzzi outside made from rocks found in the area.

From there, we can write, photograph, take tours, even start up a hotel or hostel based around sustainability. We'd welcome anyone who wanted to help us out, give them space to set up a tent and feed them. There would be very little money to spend and most importantly, we'd be doing something that's totally interesting for both of us. We'll call it the Back to Basics Social Experiment.

2 comments:

  1. I think you speak the truth for a lot of people. Thanks for the post and letting us in on the experiment. Would be good to hear about the rivers that you come across that might make the list of potential home sites:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... Yeah, that's pretty much why we were destined to meet at this juncture in our lives. Because a) we're the shit b) more importantly, a simple life is a happy life c) I'm not sure how this all congeals into a 3rd point, but I'm thinking if you can get yourself some solid property that incorporates sustainable farming, you could have WOOfers come through and work Farmer's Markets and such. Maybe this is just what I'm thinking about in my next stage of development??? I dunno. Selling aromatherapy concoctions at Farmer's Markets would be she shiznizzle.

    Also, not to give you a smidge more of drama BUT... My car was broken into (and PACKED backpack STOLEN) the day before I hit the road for Mammoth Lakes (I'm an idiot and didn't realize I was going to be backpacking OUTSIDE of Yosemite and IN Mammoth, rather). I ended up pulling it together with Megan and Rolf's guidance, fixing my car window, rebuying a bunch of the esssentials and renting a backpack from REI. FUN*CK it was expensive. But(!!!!), I was super ZEN about it. I'll have to write a bit in my own blog so as to not take up too much space in your comments. More to come on that experience, I suppose.

    What I really wanted to say, is that I'm proud of you for living the simple life. I look forward to reading about the opening doorways to new experiences and perspectives. Best of luck on the path!!! And thank you for giving me the ZEN perspective of working through adversity. Love you two....

    Besos xx

    ReplyDelete