Sep 5, 2009

"Alex"dote: Pine Cone Alarm Clock

7:30 am.

THWACK! woke me up.

THWACK...! and again... and again...

"What IS that?" Candice asks.

"Someone is throwing things at the tent," I answer.

THWACK!

I sit up, "If it happens again, I'm going out there."

THWACK!

"Right," I put on my pants and boots, "I'm gonna go out there."

I prepare myself for the cold morning air.

THWACK!

Outside, I look around and, dotted all over the floor surrounding the tent are pine cones.


THWACK!

Another one flies down with force from the tree above the tent. I look up to see a small brownish black squirrel. He laughs.

Yep. He actually laughed.

{Note: To give you an idea of what that sounds like, imagine the love child of R2-D2 and a clacker. It sounds just like that. Weird.]

THWACK!

Another pine cone.

I grab my hatchet and hit the tree really hard. This freaks out the funny little fucker enough for
him to call it a day, and he starts to scurry down the tree trunk.

Me being me, I'm not about to let this go, and so stand at the bottom of the tree, axe in hand, waiting for breakfast.

He sees me, stops dead, and then runs across a branch and jumps into the next tree. i follow along the ground. He jumps again. I follow.

A game of cat and mouse, squirrel and man style ensues until he eventually finds a way to a tree that i can't follow, proceeding to sit there and laugh.

I make us a brew and get back into the tent to recount the story to Candice whilst we snuggle to keep warm. We then had to listen to the squirrels scurrying around, trying to get laid in the early morning light. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment