Aug 28, 2009

Powell's Books: Portland

I read in one of the Oregon guides that Powell's Books is the largest independent bookstore in the United States and the largest bookstore West of the Mississippi. We walk through a bad part of Portland to get there and I wait in the front of the store looking at sale books while Alex finds the bathroom. "Dude, this place is huge, come and look" he says when he gets back.

There is a map on the wall that has a list of all of the categories of books and which room you can find them in. It just so happens that metaphysical (my interest) and travel (Alex's interest) are both in the Red Room. We walk through the Green Room, and up two flights of stairs and find ourselves in the travel section. Alex explores there while I explore the metaphysical section.

After about 30 minutes we leave with a Powell's Books sticker for $1 and a book about past lives for $7.50. As we walked back to the car Alex tells me what he found out about American travel writing.

"So I asked the person at information where the American travel writing is and she said that it's just mixed in with general travel writing. I asked her if there was one she would recommend and she said that I'd just have to look." Apparently there VERY few books about traveling in the US, they're mostly just guides, not stories.

"Dude! That's awesome!! High five!"

No comments:

Post a Comment